Why yes they can!....you didn't expect a no, did you? ;)
I believe anyone can wear anything they want but it all boils down to how you feel in it. Fat, short, thick, thin or tall, wear whatever. However, I understand there are certain pieces that you can totally adore but fit awkwardly in real life. For me, it's been overalls. I've always wanted a pair but always look kinda weird on me. They bunch up around my thighs, end up riding up and creating an awful wedged look around my crotch area (eek!)! Not a good look. A common problem for us curvy/thick thighed ladies.
Good news ladies, I believe I've figured out how curvy ladies like us can wear overalls comfortably and fabulously. Here's how:
Find the right fit - Small top half but heavier down below? Find overalls in similar dimensions. It'll fit your top half nicely, especially if it cinches in at the waist, but with a looser fit below. I prefer a much looser bottom to prevent any sort of bunchiness.
Opt for a fun print - Why? If the fit's not perfect, best to distract your admirers (and yourself!) with a cool print. Polka dots, stripes, embroidery, patterns, go for it! Every sin is forgiven with a lil print :)
Make a trip to a tailor - Can't find the fit you want? Here's fantastic advice from my brilliant sister, buy a bigger size and head to your nearest tailor. She swears by this and I can testify it works cos she always looks snatched! A stitch here and there and you'll have the overalls of your dreams.
I got to explore Cuba back in Feb in this cute and comfy pair from Modcloth. They fit perfectly and were silly adorable. I went for a vintagey retro vibe by quiffing my hair and tying a scarf round my hair. A simple chocker round my neck, brown wedges, my life changing (yes they are!) sunnies and bright red lippie on the lips.
P.S. You can shop versions of my look but scrolling to the bottom of this post. Thank me later ;)
Photographed by wonderful deediary
"Costume tiaras are often associated with formal events such as weddings, balls, or prom, but who says you can't wear a tiara casually? Sure, maybe a girl can dare to wear it with a flirty dress, but I'll take it a step further. Who says you can't wear a tiara with pants? No one.
Here's how to get away with wearing a costume tiara/tiara hairband in an informal way.
1. Pair it with a piece that fits into the theme of a tiara: You can achieve this by;
(a) consider its history - Going back, we know that tiara has everything to do with royalty. Royalty dates all the way back to medieval times and even further.
(b) consider the usual way a tiara is worn - Like I previously mentioned, in this day and age tiaras are usually worn to formal events.
So find a piece that fits into 1(a) or 1(b).
2. Wear a modern piece: You don't want to look like a fish out of water in your costume tiara. Make your tiara current by pairing it with something modern and trendy. That will take some attention away from the tiara.
3. Wear the right makeup and hairstyle: Depending on what modern piece you choose to pair your costume tiara with, go for makeup that will pull the entire look together. It all has to fit nicely. Also, style your hair appropriately. Stay away from overwhelming hairstyles and keep it simple. Besides, you want to show off that gorgeous tiara right?
Bearing all this in mind, my green velvet top was my first option because velvet was often worn by royals and nobles. I chose my print pants as my modern piece because print is so in right now and it's not backing down. I pulled my hair back and I finished with brownish red lipstick.
The truth is I unwittingly went for a medieval theme. It was actually Bloggie that pointed it out. I was just trying to make my costume tiara work by pairing it with pieces that stayed true to its origin while remaining modern.
Here are other examples of informal pairings that you can wear with a costume tiara.
(I) A tulle or flare skirt paired with an off shoulder top. Why? A tulle or flare skirt is "princessy" and fits into the theme of a tiara, and off shoulder tops are trending right now.
(II) A burgundy one piece, such as a dress or jumpsuit. Why? Burgundy is a popular color from medieval times. Don't you think it will look lovely with a bronze costume tiara?
After reading this, I hope you're bold enough to wear a tiara in an informal way. Go ahead and be the Queen of your life.
P.S. thumbs up to my amazing friend, Noma, for these lovely miu miu suede shoes. A gift from ages ago that has stayed true and current."
Photographed by Queen Bloggie.
I really love this fabric (a gift from big sis). First, it has my three favorite colors - black, white and yellow. Second, I love the pattern/design. I think there's something modern and unique about it.
I wanted to design an outfit with drama but not too much because I didn't want to overwhelm the fabric. I also wanted a design with a touch of class. I've loved balloon dresses and skirts since I was a kid, so I decided to go with this design. The neck was supposed to be higher and straight but my tailor forgot about that, oh well - sighs.
I didn't think too hard before I came up with this design. But pairing my lace covered pumps with this fabric was an instant light bulb. These shoes immediately came to mind once I saw a picture of the fabric. They go so well together, and I knew I had to design something that would show off the shoes.
I couldn't resist adding a grip of edginess to this otherwise classy outfit, so I wore my choker and complimented it with my petal bag."
Photographed by Caleb.
"Even though I admire them, I don't feel comfortable in shorts or mini skirts. It's mostly because I feel uneasy about exposing my full thighs. I guess my fashion bravery has a limit.
Thankfully, I've found ways to get away with wearing shorts and tiny skirts. If you're like me, then you'd find this simple rule useful - wear tights, pantyhose or fishnet tights underneath your mini piece. Your choice would depend on the weather or season. For instance:
Tights are perfect in cool weather. They'll shield you from the cold whilst making you feel comfortable about your full thighs. It's best to wear tights that are a different color that way the color contrast will draw attention to your shorts or skirt.
Fishnet tights are great for any weather or season. They also add a kick to your outfit because of the fun dramatic designs they come in. If you choose fishnet tights, you might want to lean toward a plain skirt or shorts because busy ones might clash with your fishnet tights. I'm not saying it can't be done (I've done it before), but there's a trick to it and that's a lesson for another post.
Pantyhose, especially nude ones, are awesome because they'll create the illusion that you're not wearing anything underneath your shorts or mini skirts. They'll also work in the Summer because they are light enough to keep you from getting hot.
Now to my outfit. My greatest accessory was the wall. Gorgeous background right? It accentuated the fun playful look I was going for when I chose this outfit. My denim embroidered pumps, denim bowtie earrings and my red bowler hat played a major role too. Ah! Let's not forget about my blue mascara."
Photographed by talented Bloggie.
My happy color at the moment right now is chartreuse - that zesty, vibrant colour between yellow and green. Miserable overcast weather meet soft snuggly chartreuse green jumper or sunny warm summer's day meet floaty pretty chartreuse dress. In both instances, I feel uplighted, happy and pretty. And here's why:
1. It works in every season. Controversial I know! (ok maybe not. Let's be real, it's not that serious. This isn't global warming :)). It's super bright, yes but in a fun vibrant way. You could wear it as a pretty knitted scarf in your winter basics, or a trendy wool cardy for fall, a floaty maxi skirt for summer or in my case for this shoot, a comfy wool sweater for spring.
2. You can go either way. Yellow or green. No keen on green, pick chartreuse yellow. Not keen on yellow, go for chartreuse green. It could be dark or light, up to you. Either way, it'll be eye-catching and lovely.
3. It's an effortless showstopper. I kid you not, throw on anything chartreuse and prepare for the onslaught of non-stop compliments. It perks everyone up and makes them eager to let you know they noticed your lovely chartreuse piece. I've experienced this first hand!
4. A little bit goes a long way. You're not keen walking around looking like a neon sign or a lemon? Well, go for subtle accent pieces. A cute lil purse, pretty dangly earrings, strappy sandals or a white t-shirt with a bold chartreuse graphic. You get my drift? They're not obvious but boy, do they stand out.
5. It'll lift your mood. Big time. I declare chartreuse a happy color! Fact (feel free to quote me on that!!). Having a bad day? Snuggle up in a toasty chartreuse yellow oversize jumper, and all will be well in the world.....ok probably not, but you'll project it and it'll eventually lift your spirits. Promise.
For this vibrant spring look, I wore my fav light yellow chartreuse jumper with one of my favorite ankara print skirts (adore the lil yellow accents!). Yellow tassle earrings on my ears and shiny chartreuse green sandals on my feet. I was in yellow/chartreuse heaven :)
Photographed by my boo, Enma.
Keep scrolling to shop fab chartreuse pieces to feed your newfound addiction 😉